Friday, June 17, 2011

Me?? A photographer??

How  and when did you decide to be a photographer?.. you might wonder.  I wonder that as well.  It is amazing to me that I am a professional photographer.  I told you the story about me buying my first camera.... ( if you didn't read it - you should probably stop reading and back up a few blogs and catch up ) 

So, I had bought a camera and was taking lots of pictures. Pretty much just of family and friends that would come over. Nothing posed or anything like that. Just candids.     At the time I also was a leader in a MOPS group  ( a group for moms of preschoolers) . I was getting ready to go job hunting and one of my friends in the group, Tammi, said  " I was thinking, you should start a photography business, I bet you would be good at it"   

hmmm.... that one statement started me thinking . I wonder if I could do it? Would anyone pay me for taking pictures? I decided I would test the waters ... I sent out an email to the moms in the groups offering something like $25.00 photo shoots to the first 10 people who responded.   I got a quick response from a bunch of moms.  

Now the first shoot I did was schedule to be inside my house.  I do not like indoor lighting now- although I understand it and my camera better , but at that time I didn't know ANYTHING!  So I had my first shoot . I set up a backdrop, it was crazy , looking back but I kept with it. After each session I sent out a questionnaire.and would see what people said I did well and what I could do better.  I would read everything I could about my camera and how it works. I experimented and got referrals.   

And now here I am 3 years later.  Capture A Glimpse STUDIOS .  Opening a studio. A busy June with 5 Weddings and many family shoots.  I LOVE what I do .  I attribute where I am today to God.  This is not a coincidence.  God knew we would need the income of this job.  He knew what He created me for and I think part of it is to step out of the walls  church and use the creative gifts HE gave me to  Capture a Glimpse of His favorite Creation.... People. 

If no one has told you today, this week , or even this year. YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL! YOU ARE LOVED and I just know that there is SPARKLE in GODs EYES when HE captures a GLIMPSE of you!! 


Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment