Thursday, June 2, 2011

the camera that started it all.

I am so lucky to be a photographer. It is really weird that I actually am making money at something I love to do.  Have I told you the story about how I bought my first camera.... Well not my first camera , but the camera that started it all...... 

We lived in NH and Dan had bought me a Canon Digital Rebel . I LOVED it . It was so awesome.  I didn't think about starting a business or anything, I just loved taking pictures and this was a great, new , camera that was very expensive for our budget.  THEN Dan stopped working at the church we were at, and  the sensible thing to do was to return it , because it was only about 2 weeks old, and  it cost over the price of a month of rent.  So sadly , I said goodbye to my camera, packaged it back up and returned it to the photo shop.  

Now, skip ahead about 3 years later.....  We have moved to Salisbury , working at a church and I am waitressing part time.  One night when Dan was at practice or something, and the kids were in bed, I hopped on the computer and was just browsing around and something spurred me to go on to ebay- which I don't really go on very much.  WARNING* ebay can be dangerous* 

I saw the camera that I used to have and it had come down in price alot. It had an extra lens, and a case, and a mini tripod, and bunch of other cool stuff all for hundreds cheaper than the first time. WHAT A DEAL!!!  So I tentatively thought let me bid on this .. so i put in a way low $$ number and press send.  Immediately it send me back something saying I was out bid ... "WHAT?!?!! who would out bid me"   I guess I should change my warning:  WARNING*ebay can be dangerous to competitive people* 

So needless to say I kept bidding, ended up winning - still paying less than what we did up in NH - so it was a GREAT deal, only problem is , 
        
I knew I should have talked it over with Dan first. 

AND Now I had bought a camera from Ebay and I imagined he was going to be like " WHAT?  From Ebay?!  It was probably some scam they took your money and we will never see the camera"

  so because I was sure that is how he would react , I decided I wouldn't tell him about me buying the camera , until it showed up so he wouldn't get on me about purchasing from someone I did not know was reputable.   GOOD IDEA - right? 

I thought it was , until I got home from work the next day and Dan and i was talking about our day. Then Dan says " oh and a camera company called and needs you to  call back"   I looked up and blurted out "I DID SOMETHING BAD"   

He immediately started paying attention to me and said.. "what do you mean?"  so I told him . I  explained all the wonderful , great , accessories that came with the camera and how it was so much cheaper and on and on.  He took it well , and I am just waiting for the day when he comes home in a BMW convertible and says " I did something bad "

I can say this much , I have made my money back on the purchase , and with a little extra to buysome groceries too :)   

So moral of this story...  not sure there is one. 
Just a glimpse of my life as a photographer. 




1 comment: